Those 4×4 enthusiasts looking for an exciting and rewarding challenge will find the ideal playground in the area surrounding Afriski.
There are a variety of 4×4 routes to be explored in the area with the trails offering both half- and full-day trips.
- Escarpment Easy Green Route
- Mont Aux Sources Route: Combining Escarpment Easy Green with the Mount Aux Sources route to form 1 trail (guests can decide to do just one part or the other).
- Towers Route: Return from Mt Aux Sources via the Towers Trail.
- Chalets in the Sky Route: Guests can opt for a shorter route, or to travel all the way to Mokhotlong.
- Katse dam via Mapoleng Route: This is a long drive, according to Mapsource, taking approximately 8 hours.
- Letsele Pass Route.
EVEN MORE TRAILS
- Katse Dam: An excellent opening route with the added incentive of a guided tour of the dam wall and its infrastructure. Guests can follow the dirt road all the way to the dam wall where they will join the tar road.
- Koa Mine road: Take LDMT mine turn off toward Solani Falls Village. At the road’s end is a scenic setting for a picnic lunch or braai.
- Mapopaleng to Katse Dam: Relatively easy going for about 75% of the trip, this route provides a daunting challenge for experienced drivers on the final leg. It is a full-day, 280 km trip, and drivers would meet up with the tar road at Katse Dam and return to Afriski via Lejone.
- The old road to Mapoka campsite: A half-day trip to the Chalets in the Sky. This is an excellent 4×4 route and there are several rewarding river crossings.